Which Bullet Proof Vest Is Right for You?
What to Look for When Shopping for Bullet Proof Vests
This is the most important question you need to ask when shopping for a bullet proof vest, because it can literally be a life or death decision.
If the vest you are wearing does not protect you from the threats you are going to face then you will have wasted your money, and you will be putting yourself at risk.
Equally you should not choose a piece of body armor that offers unnecessary protection, as it may be heavier and more restrictive than a vest with less protection.
Before purchasing body armor you should always research the area in which you will be working, the history of attacks that have taken place there previously etc. This will help you to decide which type of bullet proof vest is right for you, and which level of protection will suit your needs.
Selecting the Correct Bulletproof Vest for You and Your Team
Step 1: Identify if you will need a Covert or Overt bulletproof vest
• Covert Bullet Proof Vests: Covert armor is used for individuals that want to be protected but do not want to be seen wearing body armor. Because covert bullet and stab proof vests can remain hidden beneath clothing, they can help to keep members of covert security teams both hidden and protected as they still cover a number of NIJ protection levels. This is the preferred option for individuals involved in professional and covert security duties.
• Overt Bullet Proof Vest: Overt armor is often heavier and bulkier in appearance than covert armor. It is designed for higher protection levels and has to be worn over clothing due to its size and weight. Overt bullet and stab proof vests protect whoever wears them up to the maximum NIJ protection levels. It also provides protection from heavy gunfire and large blades/spikes.
Step 2: Identify the right level of ballistics protection needed
All ballistic vests are tested to different levels and are created to assist in different uses and purposes. A vest that is certified to protect against lower caliber bullet threats may offer no protection against higher caliber weapons. Many of our vests can be equipped with additional armored plates that will increase a vest’s protection level.
• Level III-A: This is the principal level of ballistic protection here at EDI-USA. The III-A offers comfort and versatility with protection levels from a .22mm up to a 44 Magnum. Most of the level III-A vests available here at EDI-USA can be outfitted with ballistics plates to increase the level of ballistics protection for the wearer if required.
• Level III: The level III offers higher levels of protection and covers ballistic sizes from .22mm up until .30-06. It is a touch bulkier and made of a harder material than the IIIA. The level III bullet proof vest can be outfitted with additional ballistic plates that will increase the overall ballistic protection level for the wearer as well.
• Level IV Ballistic Plates: These hard armored plates can be added to existing vests to increase the protection level to withstand fierce attacks ranging from carbine weapons to armor piercing bullets.
• Anti Stabbing Protection: Many assume that if a piece of body armor can stop a bullet, it can stop a knife. This is however not the case, stab proof vests are different to bullet proof vests in both design and fabric. If you need a bulletproof vest that also has anti-stabbing capabilities, at EDI-USA we have the unique ability to make customized dual purpose vests that can withstand bullets and sharp object attacks.
Step 3: Identify the additional personalized needs for your team
EDI-USA has several different lines of bullet proof vests and they all are made to serve different and distinct duties. See the below variations to understand the variables.
• Tactical Style: tactical ballistic vest with comprehensive front, back, neck, shoulder, upper arm, side, and groin protection. This vest is a Police favorite for its full coverage and unique quick release system.
• Integrated Neck Protection: This vest is integrated with extensive neck protection making it perfect for situations with sporadic bullet fire or danger of knife attacks.
• Fully Adjustable: This vest sports the capability to fully adjust so it can be useful both under and over clothing giving the most appropriate fit.
• Float-able Bullet Proof Vest: This is a favorite of the navy as this vest is able to keep the user afloat for 24 hours while retaining its anti-ballistic abilities.
• Hard Plate Carrier: This is a rugged vest designed to carry both standard level III and IV ballistics plates for added protection.
These are just a few of the many options that we manufacture. Please see our full catalog to experience the full product line.
EDI-USA Can Help You Decide Which Vest is Best for You
If you are uncertain in anyway when it comes to deciding which type of bullet proof vest to order for you or your team, do not hesitate to contact us. We are happy to converse about you or your team’s specific needs and help you choose the best bullet proof vest. We respond to all inquiries within 24 hours.