What to Wear to Keep Your Team Safe in Protests and Riots
Protests and Riots are especially dangerous working conditions as tension can escalate quickly. As a large group assembles and emotions flare, a mob mentality may form, and people may act in a way collectively that they never would as individuals. Due to this volatile level of danger, it is crucial that you and your team are dressed properly for the occasion.
Let’s take a moment to understand how current riot control tactics were born.
The Development of Riot Control Techniques
- The first squad trained in modern techniques of riot control was formed in 1925 in colonial Shanghai, China as a response to the mismanaged riot of the May Thirtieth Movement.
- New policing methods, including combat pistol shooting, hand to hand combat skills, and knife fight training, were pioneered as a response to a staggering rise in armed crime in the 1920s due to a breakdown in law and order in China and the growth of organized crime and the opium trade.
- A myriad of riot control techniques were developed which gave birth to Shanghai’s “Reserve Unit” – the first modern SWAT team.
- The skills developed in Shanghai have been adopted and adapted by both international police forces and clandestine warfare units. These methods were then taught around the world, from the US to Singapore.
As your team prepares for upcoming protests or riots, it is very important they know what to wear to stay safe in such unstable conditions.
The proper gear can make the difference between a successful mission and grave uncertainty. The protest and riot gear that is available now is far superior to anything that was created when the initial crowd control techniques were still being developed.
Modern riot gear covers all vulnerable parts of the body to ensure that the wearer has complete protection while remaining fully functional. As the riot gear often covers the majority of the human body it is commonly referred to as a suit. It is highly recommended that you and your team wear anti-riot suits during large protest and riots.
Let’s take a look at the protection that has been designed specifically for protest and riot situations.
These Anti-Riot suites will keep your team mobile, comfortable, and protected in unstable conditions.
Anti-Riot Suites Are Designed to Protect Against:
- Heavy blows
- Fire / Molotov Cocktails
- Bullets / Guns – Level III-A Ballistic Plates can be added
EDI-USA Manufactures & Distributes Anti-Riot Suits
All EDI-USA Anti-Riot Suites Include: Certified Anti-flame and NIJ 0115 Stab Resistance
- Anti Flame Fabric
- Full Body Coverage – Fabric, Plastic, and Polycarbonate Materials
- Helmet with Visor
- Chest Plate – High density ABS Material
- Full Arm Protection
- Hard Groin Protections
- Full Leg Protection – Interior EVA foam for mobility / comfort
- Full Foot Protection
*Male and Female Suites Available*
If you would like additional guidance to decide what riot gear will be best for your necessities please contact us, we are confident that we can deliver all of your tactical customization needs.
Take a look at our full catalog to see all the gear that we can customize for you and your team.